Reporting to the Senior Technical Manager, Package Engineering, the Senior Packaging Engineer is responsible for supporting package innovation, development, sustainability, cost savings and operational improvement projects. They will be accountable for developing and supporting package engineering activities for project activity relating to bulk products, private label and retail innovation efforts from front end development through commercialization. A critical part of this role is to collaborate with cross-functional team across multiple levels of management (sr. management through individual contributors).
A knowledge of packaging specific to food packaging, product to package, package to equipment interaction and sustainability is preferred.
This hands-on role will work with a broad network of suppliers and technologies. The senior engineer will work closely with cross functional and site teams to direct and drive package development of new incremental growth platforms and ideas within platforms which satisfy new need states, consumers and usage occasions.
- Lead packaging project activity to deliver against innovation, sustainability, cost savings and commercialization agenda.
- Collaborate with packaging supplier on commercialization and operational improvement projects.
- Lead packaging related activities with outside vendors and manufacturing facilities to enable commercialization and innovation program success.
- Proactively seek out and understand packaging technologies that may have application to business.
- Drive packaging sustainability projects to support customer’s and ofi’s sustainability goals and commitments.
- Integrate new packaging solutions and technologies into the pipeline that can be leveraged to drive new innovation platforms.
- Develop and drive productivity improvement opportunities for packaging function.
- Drive alignment with key project stakeholders on packaging development direction for innovation and commercialization programs.
- Troubleshoot issues, removes barriers and elevates issues appropriately that arise during development and commercialization.
- Understand relationship between package, product and process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Package Engineering or related field is required.
- Five (5) years of experience in packaging development and commercialization is required.
- Must have technical knowledge on multiple packaging materials and packaging/processing systems.
- Ability to handle multiple moderate projects concurrently using sound technical methodology with flawless execution is required.
- Ability to understands material and format alternatives for a given application is required.
- Ability to understand the cost and performance drivers of packaging materials is required.
- Experience working in packaging specification system(s) and TOPS is required.
- Daily office attendance is not required, however, proximity to the Chicago and or Fresno office required.
- Ability to function independently is required.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% of the time is required.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.